Kylo Ren, born Ben Solo was a dark, powerful, as well as an extremely obsessive Master of the Knights of Ren, and leader of the Empire Remnant known as the First Order, formerly the right-hand and a dark side apprentice of late Supreme Leader Snoke. As an son of Han Solo and Leia Organa, Solo was the nephew of Jedi Luke Skywalker, and a grandson of Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader. A warrior strong with the Dark Side of the Force as well as an champion of the First Order, Kylo Ren leads the First Order as an Supreme Leader, with a temper as fiery as an unconventional lightsaber. After taking control from Snoke by assassinating his master, Kylo continued their plans of destroying the New Republic, Resistance and the legacy of the Jedi. Though a warrior of the dark side, Solo still struggles against the pull of the light, growing darker and more extreme.
Early Life Edit
Born into Peace Edit
Ben Solo, was born in Hanna City, the capital of Chandrila on the day when the Galactic Concordance had been signed by the New Republic and the Galactic Empire; ending the conflict known as the Galactic Civil War. This was roughly a year after the Battle of Endor, in which his parents, Leia Organa and Han Solo, had led the Alliance to Restore the Republic in the great victory over the Empire. The great victory at Endor ended with the demise of Darth Sidious, and Organa's biological father, the Sith-Lord Darth Vader. While Ben was still in his mother's womb, she could feel her son through the Force. After he was born, there were contradictory rumors that Ben's birth took a total of three days. Another tale claimed that it was a fast and painless birth. There were also rumors that said Ben Solo was born with a shock of black hair and had a full set of teeth.
Jedi Training Edit
Family Revelations Edit
Though Han lacked the same Force bond that Leia had with her son, he comforted himself with the fact that he had a fatherly bond with Ben. Ben Solo's namesake was that of the late Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, who went by the name of Ben Kenobi while in exile on Tatooine after the fall of the Jedi Order. In his youth, Ben's parents had active lives in their respective professions. Han Solo, a smuggler before joining the rebellion, was unable to stay in one place for long. Organa, meanwhile, became a respected senator in the New Republic, the government that arose after the Battle of Endor and that had served the Empire a final defeat during the Battle of Jakku around the time of Ben's birth. Organa and Solo's natures clashed, and their busy lives left Ben with feelings of abandonment. He proved to be connected to the Force, taking after his mother, as well as his grandfather. Leia chose to keep the truth of Ben's lineage from him at least until he was old enough, but Leia still had not told him by the age of twenty-three. She nonetheless hoped that she could tell her son the truth, and that Skywalker could explain that, Anakin Skywalker returned and redeemed himself.
Fall of Ben Solo Edit
Reasons why Ben gave into evil was not simply because of Snoke's corruption, but also due to his mother and father having a tumultuous relationship, given Han Solo's career as a smuggler and Leia's role as a political figure and also his sister Jaina Solo as a Jedi knight . Six years prior to events of the Assault on Starkiller Base, Leia's political enemies exposed her parentage to the public, which is how Ben discovered he was the grandson of Darth Vader. After succumbing to the darkness, Kylo Ren went on to lead the Knights of Ren in a large scale attack on Luke's New Jedi Order, exterminating the recruits and in some cases recruit them to the Dark Side. He would don a uniform modeled after the Sith, with a black cloak and a mask inspired by various Sith Lords such as Darth Revan and his own grandfather Darth Vader.
The First Order Edit
After Ren's fall, his uncle Luke Skywalker vanished into exile to search for the first Jedi temple. Years after the fall of the New Jedi Order, the First Order had recovered a part of the map to the temple in the archives of the Galactic Empire. They learned that Lor San Tekka, a member of the Church of the Force on the planet Jakku, had the rest of the map fragment, so Ren commanded the First Order forces in search of the map. The map fell into the hands of the Resistance, as Organa, the leader of the small military opposition to the First Order, hoped to find her brother and bring him back into the fight against the Dark Side.
Ren hunted the map across the galaxy and eventually learned that it and the droid who carried it, BB-8, had come into Solo's possession. He tracked them to Takodana, where Ren discovered Rey, a Force-sensitive who had seen the map and was helping BB-8. Ren brought Rey to Starkiller Base, a First Order-controlled planet with a built-in superweapon, and attempted to probe her mind for the map's information, but she resisted and eventually managed to escape. Shortly after, the Resistance attacked Starkiller Base in the hopes of destroying it, and Ren encountered Solo once again.
After a brief confrontation, he killed his father, hoping to eliminate the light that Ren struggled with inside himself. Ren then pursued Rey and the fugitive stormtrooper Finn into a forest as the battle raged on above. He engaged both in a lightsaber duel, besting Finn before being beaten and injured by Rey. As Starkiller Base began to implode from the attack, the Supreme Leader ordered General Hux to bring Ren before him so his training could be completed.
Powers and Abilities Edit
The Force: As the grandson of the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, Ren is very powerful and has a very strong connection to the Force. Although Ren is not quite as powerful as his maternal grandfather at his peak, he is still an exceptionally powerful light and dark side Force-user. Ren's Force potential is rivaled only by Rey, and surpassed only by his maternal uncle, Luke Skywalker at the two latters' peaks.
- Telekinesis: Ren is extremely proficient in telekinesis, capable of freezing and influencing the movement of a person or even stop a blaster bolt and keep it suspended until he leaves. His power is shown to be weaker than Rey's, as he could not pry Luke's lightsaber out of his own telekinetic grip when he tried to summon it to his hand, causing it to fly past Ren and into Rey's hand instead.
- Force Push: Ren utilizes Force push to send his opponents flying through the air, causing them serious injury or temporarily incapacitating them/knocked them unconscious.
- Force Pull: Ren utilizes Force pull to pull his opponents or objects towards him, enough that he can hold people up with one hand while still pulling them with the Force.
- Mind Probe: Ren utilizes mind probe to sift through the thoughts of a sentient being, for the purpose of interrogation or torture.
- Force Sense: Ren utilizes Force sense to sense another sentient being's emotions, the future, ripples in the Force caused by momentous or traumatic events, impending danger and the presence of the Light side.
- Lightsaber Skills: Ren is highly skilled in lightsaber combat and a highly gifted duelist. He is one of the greatest lightsaber duelists currently alive; it was his exceptional skill with a lightsaber that ultimately greatly delayed the art of lightsaber combat from rising back to prominence with his massacre of most of the new, fledgling Jedi Order. His destruction of this new generation of Jedi Knights also earned him the nickname of "Jedi Killer" among the members of the First Order. Despite this, however, he was defeated by Rey in a duel, despite being far more skilled and experienced in lightsaber combat then the latter. Although, it should be noted that Kylo had already been wounded by Chewbacca and Finn respectively, thus was not at the peak of his strength. In addition, Rey's new-found abilities allowed her to meditate on the Force to gain enough strength to physically overpower him.
- Form V: Ren is highly skilled in Shien/Djem So.
- High-Level Intellect/Expert Tactician/Leader: Ren is amazingly intelligent and wise. As a Field Commander of the First Order, Ren is a highly skilled tactician and a very capable leader.
- Indomitable Will/High Tolerance For Pain/Expert Survivalist: Ren has an indomitable will and a high tolerance for pain; as he was able to continue fighting despite being shot in the side by Chewbacca, and slashed on the shoulder by Finn. In his battle with Finn, he was also seen beating the wound inflicted by Chewbacca, using his pain and anguish to fuel his connection to the dark side of the Force. Furthermore, while armored Stormtroopers were violently blasted through the air and killed instantly by the bowcaster's explosive blast, Ren has no armor, but only doubled over in pain when shot.
Weapons and Equipment Edit
Crossguard Lightsaber: Kylo had built a red-bladed crossguard lightsaber. Ren's lightsaber was crudely built off an ancient design dating back to an event known as the Great Scourge of Malachor and operated using a cracked Kyber crystal. It thus had an unstable blade, necessitating the use of exhaust ports and focusing crystal activators to channel and vent the weapon's excess energy so that it would not overload. The excess energy served as the lightsaber's quillons (crossguards). The weapon's blades also crackled and arced like electricity and funneled like fire, giving the weapon a ragged, menacing appearance and a deep, growling hum. It is unknown if this is the same lightsaber he possessed when he was still a member of the New Jedi Order.